Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Catching Fire Review: I know it's late!

Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawerence) believed it was over when she stepped out of the Hunger Games arena, she was wrong. Everyday she is haunted by the tragic scenes of those she had killed and those who she saw die in front of her; all Katniss wants now is for her life to return back to the way it was, but how could that happen when she is now the new beacon of hope during a time when fear is desired?

In a race to end the "hopeful" image, President Snow (Donald Sutherland) along with the new game keeper (Philip Seymour-Hoffman) announce the 3rd Quarter Quill games; similar to the Hunger Games, but the "players" would be fellow Hunger Games champions. Having no choice, Katniss must play in the Quarter Quill games along with Peeta; the two must find a way to create alliances or Katniss, the symbol of hope, will be obliterated.

My thoughts:

Going into the movie theatre, I had my doubts on whether Catching Fire would be good or not. I would not call myself a Hunger Gamer (that's what I call Hunger Games trilogy fans) nor am I on Team Gale or Team Peeta...yeah, we already had that whole "team" thing with vampires and werewolves, lets not do that again.

With the first movie, I felt as if the actors were "testing the waters" so to speak. They knew the characters but they did not know how to act like the beloved characters. Of course, the first movie is primarily set in the arena; complete opposite with Catching Fire. A good portion of the film is set before the Quarter Quill games. Peeta and Katniss go to different districts, you see people die, more districts, more rebellious people, Effie cries, Katniss cries, Katniss make out with Gale and Peeta, etc. But that's part of the reason why the movie was enjoyable, it wasn't at all like,

-Katniss Everdeen is the main character
-She volunteers
-Now she is in the Hunger Games fighting for her life

Another part of the film that was beautiful, and probably A LOT of critic noticed this...NO SHAKY CAM!!! They finally realized you don't need the cameraman to be running when a main character is sprinting! Shaky Cam is one of my biggest pet peeves in a movie; it was everywhere in Hunger Games but not once in Catching Fire...beautiful. 

The CGI, I thought, was better than the first movie. In the last few scenes of the Hunger Games there are the weird hybrid dog things, well I know they were so supposed to look ugly, but the animation was not very pleasant. NOT A SPOILER but there are baboons in Catching Fire and they looked very convincing (that's all I'm going to say).

All in all, I surprisingly loved Catching Fire. There were times when I was face-palming myself, I was whispering to Katniss on what to do next; I was on the edge of my seat!

I give Catching Fire a...Nominee & DVD.

So have you seen Catching Fire? What did you think? What was your favorite scene?

No comments:

Post a Comment